Major Eldad Cicero Camp, Jr.
Major Camp was originally from Ohio and served with the Union Army during the Civil War.
After the war, he made Knoxville his home and was appointed U.S. District Attorney for East Tennessee by President U.S. Grant.
When Major Camp first arrived in Knoxville, the area was merely a small town with only three general stores, a saloon, and two hotels.
After settling into a career as a lawyer and public official, he earned a lucrative income through the coal and marble industry. Camp organized the Coal Creek Coal Company in 1886 and was owner of the Virginia-Tennessee Coal Company in Virginia.
These holdings, along with other properties in Kentucky and Tennessee, made him one of the richest men in East Tennessee.
Major Camp helped build the Knoxville community in many ways. He was a significant contributor to improvements in waterways, the local libraries, and the University of Tennessee.
He also started his own nonprofit charity: Camp’s Home for Friendless Women, which he privately funded.
After 20 years of working to improve the city, Camp began work on Greystone, his elaborate mansion, in 1885.
Major Camp passed away in his home on November 21, 1920 at 2:30 p.m.